Friday, June 15, 2012

Tale of the Pie: Colosseo Pizza

The truth is there was no burning desire within me to try Colosseo Pizza. My Mom and myself had just taken Saucy Jr. to the Philadelphia Zoo when she mentioned stopping someplace for pizza. She didn’t have a place in mind. She simply knew there was a place around the Community College of Philadelphia. Even after we had found the place and tried their pizza, I didn’t know the name of the place. I had to look it up later.

Colosseo Pizza.
It’s got a decent enough name to it. The pizza, however, was way better than decent. It was one of the better slices I have tried in quite a long time.

My Mom is not a big adventurous eater. She, in fact, does not have a stomach for many ingredients, some of the more innocuous among these being pickles, mustard, and ketchup. The list could go on, but you get the idea: This was not a day for experimentation. For the three of us, I ordered one large pie of the plain variety. Luckily, Colosseo did not need an intricate order to dazzle.
The pie emerged piping hot from the brick oven. It was so hot, in fact, that I had to let it sit for a spell before taking a bite. The first bite revealed a sauce that was ripe with tomato flavor. And bursting too. Literally. Without need for an extra sauce order, pools of sauce bound into the mouth and out from under the mozzarella.

The amount of cheese on the pie was ample and zesty. On a less saucy pie, it may have overwhelmed all of the other ingredients. However, on this one, it seemed just right.
The crust also hit all the right notes. It was a bit thick, but it served as a perfect base for this pizza. Make it thinner and the sauce application may have turned the slice into a soggy mess. But this held together perfectly. Very neat and very foldable. Just the right amount of scalding.

The slices themselves were very hearty. I was able to knock back two, maybe three, pieces. Whatever the math is, I was able to take three slices home for later consumption. I left one for the wife, as I felt a second opinion was in order if I was going to publish such a rave for a heretofore little-known pizza spot. Well, let’s just say that the pie reheated just fine and the wife agreed with me on every point. It’s just a very good pie, one that I have no real complaints about.
I had no idea this pizza shop existed before I showed up there practically by accident. Don’t make the same mistake I made. Learn about this place now. Then go try their pizza. You won’t regret it.
---

Pros: Flavorful, ample sauce; foldable, well textured crust; fresh, tasty, perfectly applied cheese
Cons: None to speak of
---

Colosseo Pizza
1501 Spring Garden St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Colosseo Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

--

The Pizza Project
Just a nibble: http://twitter.com/ThePizzaProject
Single slice: http://www.facebook.com/ThePizzaProject
The full pie: http://thepizzaproject.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment